Many words have been written about Sunriver’s historic Great Hall, now used as a meeting and wedding venue. It is the magnificent legacy of Camp Abbot constructed in 1943 by the Army Corps of Engineers. We know the camp’s Commander, Col. Frank Besson chose his most elite engineers to construct an officers club in the style of a mountain lodge. We know the engineers and craftsman used over 500 hand-hewn logs and tons of native rock to complete the project. History tells us construction began in October 1943 and was completed in December 1943. The Army spent a mere $4,796 to obtain materials not available locally. It was a training exercise for soldiers and engineers bound for the European front. Yes much is known about the stately Great Hall, but one piece of history remains a mystery… What was the Bush Raising Ceremony?
0 comments + add a comment