Unique and Remarkably Beautiful Area for Fun
For those looking for a home away from home while enjoying the pristine beauty of Central Oregon, Sunriver Resort is the finest Oregon resort destination. Central Oregon boasts an abundance of pristine natural beauty and abundant sunshine, which have made this region one of the most popular outdoor recreation areas in the world. Our family friendly vacation resort is the perfect home base from which to enjoy the area's amazing array of sports opportunities including:
- Biking - 35 miles of paved bike paths within Sunriver and hundreds of miles of mountain biking trails in the surrounding forest.
- Hiking - Surrounded by thousands of acres of National Forest land and hundreds of miles of hiking trails.
- Horseback riding - Guided horse rides available at the Sunriver Stables.
- Fishing - World class fly-fishing on the Deschutes and Fall rivers. Spin and bait fishing on dozens of nearby mountain lakes.
- World-class skiing - 3,600 acres of skiable terrain on nearby Mt. Bachelor.
- Snowboarding - 3,600 acres of skiable terrain on nearby Mt. Bachelor.
- Groomed Nordic trails - Dutchman Flat, Swampy Lakes, Edison and Meissner Sno Parks and the Mt. Bachelor Nordic Center are all within a 20 minute drive from Sunriver Resort. For a list of sno-parks and and winter trail maps visit the U.S. Forest Service Bend District Winter Recreation page.
- Dog-sled rides - Iditarod dog sleds rides available from Mt. Bachelor.
- Snowmobiling - Over 500 miles of groomed trails in the area. Nearest trails are Wanoga and Dutchman Flat Sno-Parks about 20 minutes from the Resort.
- Snowshoeing - Guided tours available departing from the Resort.
- Whitewater rafting - Class III rapids minutes from the Resort.
- Kayaking - Float trips available at the Sunriver marina and whitewater available down stream.
- Rock climbing - Over 1,500 climbing routes at Smith Rock, about an hour's drive from Sunriver.
- Swiming - Sunriver Community Pool-SHARC. The community pool is managed by the Sunriver Owner's Association. Daily passes per person are $25 during peak season and $15 during low season and can be purchased at the SHARC ticket desk.
The Seven Wonders of Oregon
One of the best things about staying at Sunriver Resort is being centrally located to unlimited recreational activities and attractions around Oregon. Travel Oregon recently released a list of Oregon's Seven Wonders. The full list includes Mt. Hood, The Oregon Coast, The Columbia River Gorge, Painted Hills, Smith Rock, The Wallowas and Crater Lake. Here in Sunriver, we are a quick day trip from three of The Seven Wonders of Oregon.
Smith Rock State Park
Just 45 minutes to the north of Sunriver Resort is a top climbing and hiking destination for people from all over the world. It is rumored that the modern day sport of Rock Climbing originated at Smith Rock State Park. The sheer cliffs and towering rocks are a sight that you have to see with your own eyes, trust us!
Crater Lake National Park
Just an hour and a half south of Sunriver Resort is the awe inspiring Crater Lake. Crater Lake was formed when Mount Mazama erupted 7,700 years ago, the eruption caused the mountain to collapse forming a crater in place of the peak. Over time snow and rain has filled the deep crater with crystal clear blue water, unlike what can be found anywhere else in the world. The lake is 1,943 feet deep, making it the deepest lake in the United States and the ninth deepest lake in the world.
Just two hours to the east of Sunriver Resort is the Painted Hills unit of the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument. The painted hills were formed when the area was an ancient river floodplain. The black color is lignite, the grey color is mudstone, siltstone and shale and the red coloring is laterite soil. The colors come together to create a natural sight that looks straight out of a painting.